How a theatre company is organized often determines its success. Why a company was formed in the first place is also of critical importance. Good research and planning, plus laying a solid foundation will serve you well, long after the initial work has been completed.
There are many reasons why people start a theatre company, just as there are many different ways of making theatre, and many different ways of operating a company. Whatever your purpose, establish a vision at the outset, and make sure that vision is reflected in every aspect of your organization.
The menu at right includes all the essentials, with more resources listed below.
- Theatre People: Our explanations of tasks & responsibilities of actors, directors, designers, producers, publicity managers, stage managers.
- Center for Nonprofit Management, Supplying management, training and technology assistance to nonprofit organizations.
- Overview of the incorporation process: Management Assistance Program for Nonprofits (MAP).
- AACT Bookstore for reference books on all aspects of theatre, including start-up, governance and fundraising (samples below)
- Americans For the Arts. Publications, advocacy, and much more. The organization's publications on management, volunteerism, and advocacy are especially helpful.