AACT NewPlayFest 2016 Theatres
Congratulations to these seven theatres selected to produce the winning plays of AACT NewPlayFest 2016.
Producing theatres were selected from the 1000+ community theatres that are members of the American Association of Community Theatre (AACT). The seven theatres hail from seven states and include both small and large theatres, with budgets from $17,500 to $4.1 million. Click on the theatre name to learn more about the theatre.
Theatres selected reap these benefits:
- prestige of being selected for a national program
- premiere a national award-winning play
- national publicity
- excitement of working directly with the playwright
- honor of introducing the playwright to the community
- impact on the future of the work: The interpretations of the director and the actors may reveal insights to the playwright on what works or doesn’t work, leading to rewrites.
- possible funding
- Provide documentation of nonprofit status
- Rank the plays that reach the final round, indicating your top choices for a production at your theatre
- Provide a fully realized production between June 2015 and December 2016. A full production includes casting, rehearsing, and staging (costumes, lights, set design, props) of the script.
- Present at least three (3) performances of the work
- Pay a royalty of $25 per performance to the playwright
- Bring in the playwright for a rehearsal or a performance
- Advertise the production as part of AACT NewPlayFest
- Sign contract agreeing to these responsibilities
- Maintain AACT Organizational membership
- Select and announce producing theatres
- Conduct national new play contest, including script solicitation, recruitment of readers, tabulation of scores, and announcement of winners
- Execute contracts for producing theatres and playwrights
- Guide theatres in working with playwrights
- Compile and publish a calendar of AACT NewPlayFest productions
- Provide national advertising via websites, e-promos, social media, and news releases
- Provide news release templates and guidance (as needed) for local promotion
- Seek sponsorships or grants to help fund AACT expenses and/or theatre production expenses.