Bay City Players, Inc. (Bay City, Michigan)
Beginning as an afternoon of one-act plays in Mrs. Grinnell’s living room in 1917, in 1954, the Bay City Players took out a mortgage on a movie theatre, making major structural changes. A 5,000 square foot addition was completed in 1994, funded by state and local grants, as well as strong community support. Property west of the theatre became available, and in 1998, the theatre grew even larger. In 2014, the most recent improvements were completed, once more supported by a proud community of 34,000. Programming has also grown, including more productions, summer youth programs, and the “Recyclables” senior readers’ theatre. As the result of a grant to hire a consultant in operational effectiveness, theatre staff grew to include the addition of a permanent part-time Operations Manager. Bay City Players’ life force has always been its volunteers, and it celebrates 100 years of great community theatre because of 100 years of great community volunteers.