Call for Scripts - 2018
AACT NewPlayFest is one of the largest new works festivals in the country. Scripts were accepted August 1 - September 30, 2016. The winning plays will be announced in June 2017. Then, five or six community theatres around the country will produce the top plays of the contest. See documents at bottom of this page.
Submission of scripts for AACT NewPlayFest 2018 is closed.
Scripts were accepted August 1 - September 30 , 2016 for AACT NewPlayFest 2018.
Guidelines for Playwrights
- Plays must be submitted between August 1 and September 30, 2016.
- No fee for AACT member playwrights; $10 script processing fee for non-members.
- Only one script per playwright accepted.
- The Playwriting Contract should be reviewed prior to submission. Download PDF at bottom of this page.
About the Play
- AACT NewPlayFest is open to non-musical, full-length plays.
- No limit on number of characters.
- No restrictions on subject (although excessive offensive language, sex, or violence might limit the play’s appeal for some community theatres).
- Script must be unpublished and must not have received a full production. (If selected, the AACT theatre’s production is to be a world premiere.) (Self-publication is allowed as long as the script is only available from the playwright or the playwright's website.)
- No translations or adaptations of previously published works.
- No changes or revisions after submission.
About the Format
- Must be submitted online in one Adobe Acrobat pdf format file. (Several free pdf converters can be found online.)
- Must be written in English.
- Minimum 60 pages, maximum 120 pages using 12pt Times New Roman or equivalent.
- Use standard play format and follow the AACT NewPlayFest Script Formatting Guidelines. Download formatting requirements PDF at bottom of this page.
- Script must include, near the front: cast list, brief character descriptions, and set requirements.
- Script must have no indication of the author on any page or in the file properties. (This allows reviewers to be totally objective.)
About the Festival
- Semi-finalists will be notified spring 2017, and will be required to sign the Playwright Contract to be eligible as a finalists.
- Finalists and winners will be notified by June 2017.
- The top five or six winning plays will be produced by American community theatres between July 2017 and December 2018. Producing Theatres have committed to a production of at least three performances with full production values. In addition to the production, the theatre will pay a royalty of $25 per performance. Submission of a script includes acceptance of production, if selected.
- AACT has contracted with Dramatic Publishing Company to publish an anthology of the winning plays. Submission includes acceptance of publication in the anthology.
- Productions will be publicized locally and nationally as World Premieres. Winning playwrights will be invited to travel to the respective Producing Theatres for a performance or a rehearsal. (Producing Theatres will provide some funding for travel.)
- Download judging criteria at bottom of this page
- AACT and its associated contest judges will destroy all electronic script submissions after the close of the program.
- The judges' decisions are final.
- Incomplete submissions will be ineligible for inclusion in the festival.
For questions about your submission, contact Susan Austin at email@example.com or the AACT office at 817-732-3177.